Monday, October 18, 2010

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Aaron and Sarah! (Warning: LONG post!)

I've got a special family to share with you today.  This family has 2 children with Spina Bifida, one biological and one adopted from China.

This is Aaron
Aaron is 7 years old, he has an older brother Isaac and a younger sister Sarah (who you will also meet today).
Here is what Aaron's mom had to say about him:
"He currently plays Upward touch football, but would rather sword fight or pretend to be a Jedi any day of the week.  He is very talkative and friendly.  Often, when we are out, he will find someone to befriend.  He loves stories and surprises people with his very good vocabulary - He even surprises his mother!  Just a couple days ago, he explained to us what a scepter was!  He also loves animals of any kind."
Last year they decided to adopt a child from China and they chose Sarah.
Sarah is 4 years old. She has only been in their family for a year but when you are around her it seems like she has always been with them.  She just fits right in.
This is what mom had to say about Sarah:
"She loves music and sings all the time!  She is happy and loves everyone she meets.  She loves school, reading books and is curious and picks up on new information very quickly.  She really would like to have a cat, but has settled for Harriet, our little dog.  She also loves Dora, The Explorer and Kipper the Dog.  She really enjoys camping and riding her bike."
You can read more about the Steven's Family by visiting their blog:  Serving up Stevens 


As you know October is Spina Bifida Awareness month which is why I decided to feature kids each day of the month to show everyone what Spina Bifida looks like.  I am always amazed that few people have heard of SB despite the fact that is the THE most common birth defect.  I wanted to showcase all of these beautiful children and their families so that anyone that stumbles upon this blog can see how special, wonderful, precious, and healthy these kids are.  I've given a lot of thought to what Spina Bifida awareness should be about.  A lot of attention is given to the importance of taking folic acid in order to lessen the chance of your child having SB.  And yes, if you have a working uterus you should absolutely be taking folic acid every single day.  But to me, that is Folic Acid awareness, not SB awareness.  To me SB awareness is making the world aware of all the children, teens and adults living with SB and what their lives are like.  For me it is desperately wanting doctors to know about SB because so many have no clue and they are advising their patients to terminate their pregnancy simply because the child has SB.  This is unacceptable to me.  I think SB awareness is being an advocate and a voice for Caleb.  It is being an advocate and a voice for the unborn baby just diagnosed with SB.  It is being a support to those parents that are terrified and unsure what to do.

I have seen some amazing things happen in the past couple of weeks.  I have seen almost 700 "Redefining Spina Bifida" t-shirts sold! I have seen my online family grow and get stronger.  I have seen a passion and a fire in all my fellow SB families to DO something.  To take action.  To be a voice.  To take over the world.

We have decided to make this Wednesday "Spina Bifida Worldwide Day of Prayer"  Prayer is a powerful thing people.  I discovered a new appreciation for prayer recently.  I am doing a wonderful Beth Moore bible study on the book of Revelation at my church.  In Revelation 5:8 our prayers are depicted as golden bowls full of incense in the throne room of God.  I got such a mental picture of all of my prayers being in these beautiful golden bowls.  My prayers are valuable to God, your prayers are valuable to God.  Prayers aren't just tossed into a plastic Dixie cup, they are in splendid golden bowls.  I don't know if that means anything to you but it sure meant something to me.  It gave me goosebumps all over.  Take time to visit the link above and make a commitment to pray on Wednesday.  The link will tell you specifically what to pray for.  Imagine hundreds, maybe even thousands of us praying all at the same time.  And then imagine our prayers being placed in beautiful golden bowls.  Valuable to God.

6 comments:

Dill Family said...

Ohhhhhh, I just got "golden bowl goosebumps"!!!!

Jamie said...

David and I were just talking about the possibility of adopting a baby/child from china that has spina bifida. It wouldn't be for a few years, but what an amazing thing to do! I'd love to pick that families brain :). I figured since all things spina bifida are so well known/ routine for us with Madi, we would know just what to do to help another child.

Jill said...

Fantastic, as always!

Colleen said...

Great post, Cassie.

fivejensenboyz said...

Love you Cassie!!!!! SB MOMS UNITE! :)

Angela Stevens said...

Cassie,

This was just awesome to see my kiddoes up there. I love the day of prayer idea and am sorry I missed it. I am going to post your blog on my facebook acct for my other friends to read! You are doing a great job of making us all aware of the many children living well with SB.

Angela

Also, Jamie - if you would like to contact me my facebook is angela golden stevens. Message me and I can tell you all about Sarah.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...