Friday, October 01, 2010

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Jacob!

October is Spina Bifida Awareness month, and in recognition of that I have decided to feature a different kiddo each day of the month.  Since this is the first day I thought I would start with one of the youngest kids I know (of course I don't really know him-we've never met-but I feel like I do).  Us SB parents have our own little community online and it does feel like we know each other.

This is Jacob
How cute is this kid?!  I mean seriously.  So cute!  Jacob was born July 1st of this year so he is still just a little guy at only 3 months old.  Jacob was part of the MOMS study which means that Jacob actually had surgery on his back in utero and was born 12 weeks later.  If you want to learn more about this cutie, you can read more at Jacob's Story as well as visit his blog.

I decided to feature a different kid each day of this month because I think it is important to see what Spina Bifida looks like.  I am amazed at how many people have never even heard of it even though it is the most common birth defect.  I don't think most people have a clue what Spina Bifida is and they certainly have no idea what a person with SB might look like.  Well, as you can see from sweet Jacob, they look like every one else.  I thought about using the blog to talk all about Spina Bifida and what it is and go into all the details but I decided to put some faces with the diagnoses instead.

Plus I know that the majority of people that visit this blog are fellow SB mommies (and maybe daddies) and I thought that this would be a good way to connect all of us together.

Hope all of you enjoy meeting a new blessing each day this month!

9 comments:

Nicole said...

When Jacob was diagnosed, I had this scary picture in my head of what our life would look like - just very different from what I had pictured. Part of that mentality was a fear that Jacob would look different too. I couldn't have been more wrong! Every day I look at Jacob and think about how perfect his little body looks. No one would know that he has a two inch scar on his back where his lesion was closed at 25 weeks gestation. He's beautiful.

JourneyWithTheCrosiers said...

Such a great idea! Love it!

Wendy said...

Jacob's Mom and Dad show incredible vision. They are very positive and happy and are very proactive to helping Jacob be the best boy he can be!

Jill said...

Absolute sweetheart!

Colleen said...

Major cutie!

Scasmflops said...

Love this idea!!! There are some that I haven't met including this adorable little man. Now, I am headed over to their blog to meet them.

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing! I love reading about kids in our community!

Tiffany said...

Amazing!! So awesome that you are doing this with your blog. I know that many people have such a scary first thought when they hear the word spina bifida and I'll admit, before my 3 year old was born with SB I had that same image in my head until I saw my baby for the first time and I saw nothing but God's perfection! He continues to amaze us everyday and we couldn't be more proud of him!!

Kim said...

I am an SB mommy too and I just heard about your blog from a new FB friend! My little boy Drew is 7 and was also part of the MOMS study! Jacob Is precious!! What a fabulous idea this is! I'm so thankful to know about your blog now! And that Calebs surgery went well today! Love, Kim in Keller

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...