Saturday, June 04, 2011

I love adaptive sports!

Today we took Caleb (and Benjamin) to the Turning Point Extravaganza.  It is an event held every summer and it features a variety of adaptive sports.  I always like taking Caleb to these types of events because it really shows him all of the things that are possible for him.  There are a ton of sports and activities that are available to him.  And Caleb seems to really enjoy seeing other people that are using wheelchairs.  Several times today he said "Look at all these people in wheelchairs!"  He loved it.
He wanted to do hand cycling first.  This cycle is different than the one Caleb just got through Athletes Helping Athletes.  He drove this one around the parking lot a couple of times.  I'll show you Caleb's new cycle at the end of this post (most of you have probably already seen it on Facebook).
After hand cycling, Caleb (and Benjamin) gave disc golf a try.  Neither one of them did very well.  Benjamin opted to just cheat and put his Frisbee directly into the goal.
Caleb nervously watching someone going down the zipline.  We tried so hard to get Caleb to do the zipline because I think he would really like it but he wanted no part of it.  We just couldn't convince him...maybe next year.
They had a large tank set up with a bunch of catfish in it.  Caleb had a lot of fun fishing.
He loved catching fish, and he actually caught several. But I guess it isn't terribly hard to catch a fish when they are confined to a small area.
Benjamin enjoyed watching Bubba fish and he was even brave enough to touch one.  I kinda thought the catfish tank was a bit mean, it didn't seem right that these poor catfish just kept getting caught and thrown back over and over again.  But I'm a bit of a softy so I'm probably the only one that was bothered.
They had some RC cars too.  Caleb chose the monster truck...of course.
Next was wheelchair tennis.  I think this is so cool.  Caleb had a lot of fun with this and the volunteers were so patient with him.  I just love that all of these different sports are available.

Both boys were begging to ride the pontoon boat so we headed there next.
While we waited for the boat, Benjamin found some dirt to play in.  Of course.

Okay these next pictures have me in tears because I am laughing so hard.  I have never seen anything so funny.
"Um mom, I can't really breath in this life jacket."
"Um mom, now I'm falling over."
"Um mom, I appreciate you making the life jacket lose but I'm not sure this is any better."

And finally....drum roll please....Caleb got his hand cycle this week!! 
It didn't quite fit him at first, it needed several adjustments in order to make it "fit" Caleb.  Well I had no idea where to start so Justin offered to come over and help us fit the cycle for Caleb.  Remember that Justin custom builds hand cycles and we had originally wanted him to make a cycle for Caleb but when we got the grant through Athletes Helping Athletes we couldn't use Justin anymore.  Anyway, Justin was kind enough to offer to help us with Caleb's cycle.  Great guy.
Once the cycle was adjusted we let Caleb take it for a test drive.
 Caleb actually did very well.  This hand cycle is so cool.  Caleb got going fast enough that Glenn was having to run to keep up.  I think it will take getting used to but Caleb will get the hang of this thing is no time.
I'm super excited about this opportunity for Caleb.  He loves his new bike.  What a blessing to him and to us.  A couple of kids in the neighborhood saw Caleb on his bike and they were begging to try it!  They said Caleb's bike was way cooler than theirs!  Too funny.

Here is a short video of Caleb's first test drive.

Yay for adaptive sports!!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Looks like such a fun day! I can't wait for Nate to try out some adaptive sports. And Caleb's bike is TOO COOL. Love it. :)

Jenna said...

Hi Amazing Special and Precious Caleb!
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are a courageous, strong and determined fighter. U are a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. U are a super trooper and a tough cookie.
I was born with a rare life threatening disease. I love it when others sign my guestbook.
www/miraclechamp.webs.com

Sandy said...

That is so awesome Caleb got his bike this week. Ireland has an adaptive bike too. It opens up a new world. All of her friends love to ride her bike. I think it is the COOL bike!

Gretchen said...

I wanna be your neighbor!!! You go do fun things!!!

Seeing Caleb in his new bike is so amazing!!!

What a blessing, thanks for sharing :)

laura said...

Yay! So glad that Caleb got his bike and it does look really cool. I loved seeing the boys have so much fun in the pictures.

Jill said...

How awesome is all of that?? So incredible to see all those rec activities/sports and for Caleb to get so involved. LOVE his bike!!

Geoffrey said...

Getting a cycle when you are physically disabled is definitely a life changing event. I have a recumbent trike myself and it has changed my life greatly. As a disabled person it is great to be able to do something such as ride down the street with friends on their bikes. I actually used mine while living on campus at FSU all the time. Random people regularly stopped me asking to ride it. Some even offered to buy it which I wouldn't even consider. It is great exercise and an even greater moral boost. Hope he continues to enjoy it over the years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...