Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Halloween 2011 and some random stuff

Now that "Faces of Spina Bifida" is over (until next year), I guess I better get back to blogging about my own kids.  Warning:  This post is going to be long with LOTS of pictures.  So brace yourself.

Both boys had Halloween parties at their schools.  I had fun visiting Benjamin at his preschool.  He looked so big sitting at a table with all of his friends.
He was eating this giant "bat" cookie with black icing.  Seriously, the cookie was the size of his head.  I have a totally unrelated Benjamin story to share.  It's just one of those things that I want to remember so I figure that sharing it on the blog is the best way to record it.  Last week the boys and I were outside playing in the back yard.  Benjamin goes inside by himself to get his cup.  He locks the dead bolt, from the inside, leaving Caleb and I in the backyard.  So picture me freaking out and yelling at Benjamin through the door to turn the lock and open the door.  Well he just stands there and grins at me.  Keep in mind that I have bread baking in the oven and stew stewing on the stove!  I start to panic and then remember that the front door is opened but the storm door is locked.  I know Benjamin can unlock the storm door. So I jump the fence (Caleb found this to be quite humorous) and run around to the front of the house to the front door.  Thankfully, Benjamin was able to unlock the storm door and let me in.  Good grief.  Never a dull moment folks.  Anywho...let's move on.

I always enjoy going to Caleb's classroom and seeing how he is interacting and getting around.  For their Halloween party, the kids went around to different centers.  
They got to plant pumpkin seeds.

Benjamin played in the dirt planted some seeds too.

Coloring.

Being silly.

I watched how much harder Caleb has to work to get around the classroom. It isn't easy navigating his walker through tables, chairs, kids, toys, etc.  He struggles and stumbles....but he does it.  He gets to his table, he gets to his seat, he gets to the centers, he gets to the carpet, he gets to his locker.  He gets there.  And while it was painful to see how hard he has to work to do those things that are effortless to every other child in the class, I was proud of him.  He gets it done.

This past weekend we took the boys to see Granny and Paw Paw.  We decided to take Izzy too because we thought she might like getting some fresh country air.  Paw Paw and Granny have a dog, Nikki.  Nikki is a super sweet dog but she is HUGE compared to our little pup Izzy.  To say that Izzy was intimidated would be quite an understatement.  I don't think Izzy could have gotten her ears down farther or gotten her tail any further between her legs!  She was definitely nervous around this big dog, who really only wanted to play.
Izzy kept going to Caleb for protection, which made Nikki more curious.  Caleb got knocked over a couple of times (gently), he was having so much fun with these 2 dogs all over him.  Izzy just kept trying to hide behind Caleb.  It was hysterical.
(love this picture)
(sniffing an orange bush)

During the dog chaos, Benjamin decides to just head for the gate.
I guess he thinks he can just sneak out whenever he wants.

And steal Bubba's walker whenever he wants. 

We went to Chipotle for dinner over the weekend.  Glenn and I love this place.  The boys find it too spicy but they love being able to eat outside.  I love that I can get a burrito the size of my head...and yes...I ate the entire burrito.  Don't judge me, it's delicious.
 The boys running around like maniacs.

 Checking out the fountain.

 Pretending to play baseball.

And still running around like a maniac.

And finally, HALLOWEEN!  To be honest, I really did not want to do the whole Halloween thing this year.  I didn't feel like buying costumes.  I didn't feel like taking the boys out on a school night.  I really didn't feel like spending hours transforming Caleb's chair into something awesome.  I secretly hoped that Caleb wouldn't realize Halloween was coming and we could just forget the whole thing.  Then one night at dinner Caleb says: I want to be Batman for Halloween and I want my wheelchair to be the Batmobile."  Well great.  I still didn't want to do it.  We didn't have big plans for Halloween so I just didn't feel like putting forth much effort.  But I did it anyway, because I love my kids and I wanted to make them happy.  I knew Benjamin wouldn't care but it seemed to mean a lot to Caleb.  So I had Glenn design the batmobile.  I did all the painting, gluing, and finishing touches.  And here is our version of the Batmobile.
 (pretty awesome right?)

We took the boys to a "Trunk or Treat" at our church.
 Benjamin was pretty fascinated with the Batmobile.


Gotta have the flames coming out of the exhaust!

He loved that mask!  He pretty much refused to take it off.  I'm certain he would have slept with it on if we had let him.

Caleb with 2 of our favorite friends, Ruby and Lily.

I know you are asking:  Where is Benjamin?  What was he dressed as?
Well, Benjamin is in the very fun stage of not wanting to do, wear, play, eat, anything I want him to.  Just this morning the child refused to have milk in his cereal, so he ate his cereal dry, with a spoon!  So, I decided not to spend any money on a costume that I would be willing to bet my right arm he wouldn't wear anyway.  I decided he could be a construction worker since we already had most of the things needed for that.  He had a hard hat and a tool belt with tools and he refused to wear either one, although he did carry around the hard hat!  And that is why I put this on the back of his hard hat-
"Hard Headed"
Despite not being in costume, Benjamin had plenty of fun finding rocks in the parking lot and putting them in his hat.

So that is about it.  The Batmobile was a huge success and Caleb had a lot of fun. And really, this wheelchair costume wasn't terribly hard.  We are pretty happy with how it came out, although I still think Mario Kart from last year will always be my favorite.


5 comments:

fivejensenboyz said...

Just awesome...your kids are awesome...and so are you!

Karin said...

Love reading about your boys. Awesome job again on Caleb's wheel chair!

HennHouse said...

So creative!!

I think it will be over for us when Esther-Faith and Caleb finally meet.

Tara said...

I am in LOVE with the bat mobile! Seriously!!!

Jill said...

OK. I know this is not the first time I'm going to say this, but holy smokes!! When did Benjamin grow up?? He's so mature looking now and losing all his baby face, I can't even stand it! What a handsome little guy.

And Caleb with his batmobile! Oh, love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...