Friday, November 02, 2012

Fairy Tale Day: How to make a Dwarf costume...cheap!

Today was Fairy Tale dress-up day at Caleb's school. Caleb mentioned that his class had read "Snow White and the 7 dwarfs", so we decided a dwarf costume would be the way to go. Obviously I didn't want to spend money on a costume so I did a bit of research and found some ideas for making my own dwarf costume.  We decided Doc would be our dwarf of choice.


Here is how I did it:

I bought a cheap .98 cent Santa hat and cut off the fluffy white ball at the end.

I cut pieces of brown felt to fit on the hat and then I used iron-on adhesive to attach the felt.
If you sew you could totally make a felt hat without needing a Santa hat...but I don't sew.

It came out pretty cute.

For Doc's shirt I just took one of my old red t-shirts and turned it inside out.
For the back, I ironed on the "DOC" letters just because I happened to have some.

For the front, I ironed on some felt circles to represent the buttons.

Now for the beard. I knew Caleb wouldn't want something actually attached to his face so I had the idea of using his glasses to "hold" the beard. I just cut the beard out of white felt and attached it to his glasses.

 And here is the finished product.
Not too bad for only $1.50
(.98 cent Santa hat and a few pieces of brown felt. I had all the other supplies already)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...