Friday, January 11, 2013

Recent happenings

Things have been pretty quiet around here this past week. The boys started back at school so it has been an adjustment getting back into the routine after 2 weeks off. Caleb was excited to be going back to school...Benjamin, not so much. Benjamin just doesn't like being separated from me and school (even though it is only for 5 hours, two days a week) means separation from mommy.

Caleb had an exciting event happen yesterday before school. He lost tooth #7!


Posing.


I'll go ahead and give a quick Caleb update. It's been over 10 months since his tethered cord surgery. April 3rd will be one year. I can't believe it's been almost a year since the surgery. In some ways the time has gone by so quickly, even though the progress has been so slow. Yesterday he came home from school, crawled over to his walker, managed to get to standing, and he tried to walk. He took about 2 steps before his knees just buckled and he fell to the floor. I hate that he wants to walk, but his body just won't let him. And he has worked so hard the past 10 months. Physical therapy 3 times a week folks, the boy works hard. More than being a hard worker, he is a trooper. He takes it all in stride. He keeps smiling even when he is struggling. He amazes me. After watching him fall yesterday when trying to walk, I decided that he needs higher bracing. His hips are so strong, maybe the strongest I have ever seen, but those knees just need more support. I know he could walk with KAFO's. So after discussing it with his therapist, we both agreed that KAFO's would be a good idea. It doesn't mean that we give up on him getting back to where he was prior to the surgery. I don't know if he'll ever get back the function he had. I just want to give him the option of walking. Right now that isn't an option. So, I'm waiting to hear back from ortho to get an appointment scheduled. Hopefully we can get him fitted for some KAFO's within the next few weeks, and get my boy walking again.


And just because he's cute, here are a couple of pictures I took of Benjamin today. We were doing a bit of shopping at "Hobby Lobby" and he was being a bit silly.
I love that he still likes to ride in the cart even though he is getting too big for it.

Love this kid.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...