Monday, July 01, 2013

MRI Results

Caleb had a MRI (brain and spine) last Friday. As expected he did fantastic. Such a trooper. He handles this stuff way better than I do. I went back with him to pre-anesthesia to watch as he went to sleep. This is not the first time I have seen him drift off to sleep and I suspect it won't be the last. I don't like it. The MRI lasted about 2 hours.

(enjoying a post-anesthesia popsicle)

I got a call today with the results of the MRI. Basically things look "stable", meaning there is nothing new to report. I am relieved and frustrated by this news. I am relieved that there isn't something major going on that would require more surgery. I'm frustrated because I still don't have answers. I still don't know why TC recovery has been so hard for him. I still don't know why we are 15 months out from surgery and he still hasn't gained back the function he had prior. Ultimately I'm thankful for a good MRI report...just wish I had more answers. Maybe I never will. Maybe I just need to be okay with where we are right now. It isn't what I would have wanted for him. I hate that this happened but it happened nonetheless. And the truth is, where we are right now isn't so bad. No, he can't walk right now and maybe he never will but I learned a long time ago that walking/not walking isn't a predictor of a good life. So we press forward, we keep climbing our mountain. I'll continue to be Caleb's number one cheerleader. 



2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm sorry you don't have more answers. I know on a less- severe scale how that is. Gage had a group of cysts in his thoracic spine. He's had surgery on them twice. The first time, he regained all the function he'd lost, but they came back. The second time, he didn't. We're now 2 1/2 years out from surgery and things still aren't right and his MRI still looks the same with his flattened out cord.

Margot said...

Your post has reminded me that it is time to book Richie in for his next MRI. They are awful so you put them off I guess, but I have this niggling worry that he is especially grumpy, not because he is two years old, but because he is in pain! Thank you, and good luck to Caleb. (Richie had a cord detethering too, but has a syrinx we need to watch)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...