Thursday, January 01, 2015

I choose....to count my blessings

I love the idea of a "blessing" jar. A jar that you fill with all the blessings you receive throughout the year. I love the idea of being intentional about reflecting on our many blessings. I love the idea of keeping all of these blessing tucked away until the end of year when you go through them one by one. Recalling and remembering all the blessings God has passed to you and your family throughout the year.

I didn't do a jar. I decided to be different and use a shadow box (one I already had) instead.


This shadow box has a slit at the top where we can slip in our blessings.
I printed the music sheet here. It seemed appropriate. 

I've put the "blessings box" in our living room along with some paper slips and a pen. The goal being that everyone in the family takes the time to occasionally write down something that blessed them that day. It doesn't have to be an every day thing. I don't want it to be forced but I do think there is value in counting your blessings, counting them one by one. We will do this throughout the year and then on New Year's Eve 2015, we will sit down and read through the blessings from the past year. 

Anyone else do something like this?

Yesterday I randomly picked up a Max Lucado book that we have had for years and years. The book was just collecting dust. I'm so glad I picked it up and read the first couple of pages. I liked what I read so much that I had to make it into a format that I could print out, hang up, and be reminded of daily. So I made these:


 These are based on Galatians 5:22:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

I printed these out, framed them, and put them where I can see them daily. I need to see these daily. I probably need to read the ones on patience, gentleness, kindness...and maybe self-control a few times a day. I just had to share because these words really spoke to me yesterday. Of course, I've read Galatians 5:22 a million times but I've never seen that verse elaborated on in this way. It really struck a nerve...in a good way. Hope it blesses you too.

2 comments:

Jen said...

awesome! love this idea. love this post. love and miss you!

Haley said...

I absolutely love that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...