Thursday, October 01, 2015

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Jarrett and Nick!



Meet Jarrett


"My name is Kerri Kane and my son Jarrett is 6 and has Spina Bifida.  He was diagnosed at 20 weeks gestation and we were urged to abort.  Our faith in God gave us hope and Jarrett has surpassed all expectations and we believe he is a miracle."

How does Jarrett describe himself?
"The word Jarrett used to describe himself is "fruitcake" because he says he is silly and a bunch of fun...always."

What makes Jarrett awesome?
"Jarrett says baseball makes him awesome because he can run really fast and hit the ball hard thanks to help from his Daddy and his buddy from the Trenton Thunder Dan Fiorito as well as his buddy from Miracle League, Tim.  He said he feels free when he plays baseball and loves to cheer on his buddies and other players."

What does Jarrett like about himself?

"One thing Jarrett likes about himself is how much fun he likes to have. He said, "I love my friends and like to play anything, but baseball is my favorite. I love building legos with my brother and playing video games. We have so much fun together. I have the most fun with my family when we go to Trenton Thunder baseball games. We go to lots of games. Fun is my life."

Describe your son in one word: Fearless

"He tries and does everything in his path with grace and a cheeky grin."

What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first heard the SB diagnoses? 

One thing I wish I knew then, that I know now is that everything would be more amazing than sad. Then I figured the rest of our lives would be hard and a challenge, some days they are don't get me wrong, but most days are routine and overall fun.  Jarrett has truly been a blessing and looking back now I wish I would not have been so afraid of what was to be.


If you want to learn more Jarrett and his family, check out their blog!



Meet Nick
34 years old

Describe yourself in one word: Resilient

What do you want people to know about you?

I want people to know that I have never, and will never give up on anything! I always try and look at the bright side of every bad situation! I tell parents of kids with SB, and the kids themselves, to be the same way! Although, their child might have certain challenges, nothing is impossible! I've never really liked tooting my own horn, so I would say what makes me awesome is the ability to make others feel good! I like that I have the ability to talk to anyone, and just through listening to them, help them see how valuable they are to the world! I love being able to mentor to kids with Spina Bifida, and their parents, and give them hope for the future!


Want to participate in Faces of Spina Bifida? Just click the "Contact Me" button on the right!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...