Friday, October 09, 2015

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Jonas and Kaden!


Meet Jonas
8 years old

Describe your son in one word: Humorous

What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first heard the SB diagnoses?

"I wish I had known that not only would I feel true happiness again, my life would be richer, fuller and all around better!  While we all face more challenges than before we also experience a greater level of joy and satisfaction with life.  Jonas has taught our whole family so much about having the right perspective.  He's amazing and perfect."

What makes your son awesome?

"Jonas has an infectious personality.  He draws people to him and makes them feel happy and better about themselves.  He is a wonderful friend and brother who shows a lot of awareness of how others are feeling."




Meet Kaden
8 years old

How does Kaden describe himself: Nice

What does Kaden like about himself?


"He says the one thing he likes most about himself is how he treats other kids nicely no matter what."

Describe your son in one word: Determined

What makes your son awesome?

"Kaden is awesome because of all the things he has accomplished. If you tell him he can't do something, he is going to prove you wrong. He is the most stubborn, determined kid I know. When he decided to crawl, he just took off. When he decided it was time to walk with his walker, he was running. When he decided to let go of the walker and walk unassisted, he walked across the room. He never just took a couple of steps. If he was going to walk, then he was going to walk all the way to where he was going. Kaden is 8, and while he has less balance and he is a good bit slower than other kids, he plays rec baseball and basketball. While he isn't the best player on the team, he can definitely hang with the other boys. It is amazing to watch him after being told before he was born that he would probably never be able to do these things. I never know what he will accomplish next, and I am never surprise anymore by the things he does."

What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first heard the SB diagnoses?

"When I first heard the SB diagnosis, I had no idea what SB even was. I had never even heard of it. I find that seems to be the case with most people. I feel like I am constantly explaining to people what SB is. I wish I had known basic information about SB. I also wish I had known that this wasn't the worst thing in the world and that most of these kids live long, happy lives."



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...