Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Katelyn and Michelle!

Meet Katelyn
14 years old

What does Katelyn love about herself:

"She likes her attitude and; how she doesn't let anything slow her down."

What makes Katelyn awesome?
"I don't let anything stop me. I am one of those people that if you tell me I can't do something, I am going to make sure I do it."

What makes your daughter awesome?

"So much makes this kiddo awesome, I don't even know where to start! First of all, she is GORGEOUS....I mean seriously....look at her! Stunning! She is a  super crazy talented makeup artist at 14. The future for her is SO bright in the cosmetics industry! She is in training to compete in the US Open Wheelchair tennis tournament in St Louis next year and we are so proud and excited! She loves playing tennis and will take the tournament by storm next year!!"

What do you know now that you wish you had known when your first heard the SB diagnoses?

"How amazing this kid would grow up to be. When you first get that diagnosis, the doctors always paint such a bleak image for their future. I remember holding Katelyn as a baby thinking that she would depend on us for everything and just being so stressed out about everything. Although there is still the underlying health related stress, I find that I just enjoy the heck outta this girl and her goofy personality! A day doesn't pass where she doesn't have me in stitches with her quick wit or in awe over her amazing talent and tenacity. So I think I would simply tell the new mom: Enjoy and suck up every single minute. They grow so fast, that you blink and they are growing up right before you very eyes." 


Meet Michelle


Describe yourself in one word:
Independent

What do you want people to know about you?

"What I want people to know about me is that I am so much more than a person w/SB.  There are many interesting things about me and SB is one of the least interesting facets about me.  I would like to encourage parents of kids w/SB to let their kid know that there is and there will always be more that he or she can do than cannot do.  Nobody can do everything.  Help them find their strengths and talents and nurture those.  Let your kid try new things even if it makes you nervous.  This will give them the gift of confidence.  

What I like most about myself is that I am funny, smart, kind, fun and independent."


Click the "contact me" button on the right to participate in Faces of Spina Bifida!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...