Friday, October 02, 2015

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Sarah and Charis!


Meet Sarah
6 years old


Describe your daughter in one word: Happy

What does Sarah like about herself?

"Sarah wouldn't give me an answer when I was asking what she liked about herself. I was thinking about a conversation she had with her dad. Sarah loves babies and she was asking her dad when would she have babies of her own. While discussing she asked "will my babies have Spina Bifida, like me"? Her dad said well "I hope not". Then she said " well I do! I want them to be just like me". This opens my eyes to how she sees herself. She loves who she is. She doesn't see anything wrong. Now...she is six, she hasn't had to deal with negativity of strangers or peer pressure to look and be like others. So right now, without people telling her not too, she loves who she is and she is perfect."


What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first heard the SB diagnoses?

"Everything is going to be fine. Enjoy your pregnancy. I felt like the joy was taken away."


Meet Charis
11 years old

Describe your daughter in one word: Compassionate

What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first heard the SB diagnoses?

"I wish I had known how "OK" life would be for our family. We still have plenty of love, laughter, & special memories-spina bifida does not change those things that truly matter! In fact some of our laughter comes from SB related things."

"Charis regularly reminds us what is important in life. She loves without conditions & she accepts people for who they are. She especially loves small children & is great loving & teaching them."



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...