Thursday, October 15, 2015

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Toby and Charlie!


Meet Toby
8 years old

How does Toby describe himself: Awesome

What does Toby most like about himself?

"He's always happy and silly."

What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first heard the SB diagnoses?

"As a parent, I wish someone would have told me that my baby was a little person and not just a diagnosis. He would grow up to give us joy and sorrow just like our other children. I heard someone say once that if you've met a person with autism...well, then you've met one person with autism. I believe it's the same for kids with Spina Bifida. If you've met one person with Spina Bifida; then, you've only met one person with Spina Bifida. Each of our kids, whether labeled with a diagnosis or not, are unique individuals, fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God."

Learn more about Toby and his family by visiting their blog.



Meet Charlie
5 years old


How does Charlie describe himself: Strong

How does mom describe Charlie: Charismatic

What does Charlie like about himself?

"Charlie said he likes that he is a BOY. And also that he thinks about sharks."

What makes Charlie awesome?

"Charlie said he is a good helper, and that makes him awesome."

What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first heard the SB diagnoses?

"I wished I had known how normal our life would be, really. I pictured a life I didn't know how to live, and was worried about how I would figure it out. Turns out, SB can be a big deal sometimes, but mostly it's just a detail, and our life is the same life any other family lives. The most remarkable part about life with Charlie isn't SB, it's his amazing personality that keeps me entertained and on my toes all the time."





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...