Thursday, October 01, 2015

What Spina Bifida Awareness month means to me

It's October 1st, the first day of Spina Bifida Awareness Month. I love October. My Facebook feed is already full of yellow ribbons and SB love. I've noticed that everyone has their own way of participating in SB awareness. Some share pictures of the scar on their back or their child's back. Some share facts about Spina Bifida. Some share personal stories. Some share the good, the bad, and the ugly. I love all of it and I think all of these things have value. 

I asked myself: What does Spina Bifida Awareness month mean to me?

Honestly, I just want people to see Caleb. I want people to see Caleb living his life. I want people to see my family and how we are so very normal. I want that expectant mom that just heard her baby has SB to see Caleb. Oh, how I wish I could have seen a kid like Caleb when I was pregnant and scared. I want people to see that SB is a part of Caleb's life but it isn't his life. He's so much more than the diagnoses. 


I realized that all of the things I want SB awareness month to be about....are all of the things I already do. I share Caleb's life daily. I share our family daily. It isn't bound to one month.

So, I'll continue to do what I've been doing for the past 10 years...share Caleb. 

Because it is SB awareness month, I'll also be sharing a ton of other kids, teenagers, and adults living with SB through my daily Faces of Spina Bifida posts. The first post will be up later today. 

It's going to be a good month, ya'll. 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...