Sunday, October 23, 2016

Faces of Spina Bifida: Meet Christine


Christine
with her service dog Luis

I am an adult that was born with Spina Bifida 46 yrs ago. I walk with braces and crutches just around the house mostly. I used to be very mobile outside the home but after back surgery in 2011 for tethered cord I lost confidence in walking due to some cord damage to the nerves.

I live at home with my parents by choice, some wonder why at the age of 46 would I still love at home? I say that my car and now Luis are my independence. I help around the home with lots of household chores.

I volunteer a couple times a month at our local hospital at the information desk as you walk into the hospital. I was a missionary with my parents from 2000-2008 in Budapest, Hungary. I worked at a Christian School as their librarian. Prior to moving to Hungary I worked in the airline industry taking reservations for TWA in their tour center. Did that for close to 9 yrs after high school. Since being back in the US I am now running my own travel business from home for the last 5 or so years.

I could share a lot more about activities that I have been involved in like being on a disabled rowing team while living in PA. I also learned how to snow ski.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...